Vision of the Department
- To enhance the communication skills of students in pure Malayalam language.
- To acquire the ability to understand critique linguistic and cultural diversities.
- To Develop positive attitudes among students towards Malayalam Literature.
- To enable the students to become intellectually sound, spiritually deep, sociologically aware, culturally sensitive, politically conscious, environmentally concerned, psychologically balanced and emotionally mature.
Mission of the Department
- To keep in touch with our traditions originated and deep rooted in Kerala.
- To foster the quality of the method of teaching and learning in the contemporary times.
- To provide research orientation in both language and culture.
- To generate knowledge about the linguistic and cultural diversities of Kerala.
- To develop and sustain our traditional values.
- To popularize and develop the talents of students in Malayalam Literature.
Overview of the department
The Department of Malayalam started functioning in 1964, Prof. A.T. John as its sole member and it has been offering second language since then. As per the University order number 2464/A1/2014 academic, sanction was granted for B. A Malayalam by the M.G University and the first batch was admitted in 2014. According to the sanctioned strength 28 students were admitted. When B.A Malayalam started most of the members of the faculty were guest lecturers except Fr. Dr. Vincent Joseph and Fr. Dr. Raju Jacob. The department has a very rich tradition of success down the decades.